Sweet Potato Kale Soupby John Meadows on January 15, 2013
- 4 cups of vegetable broth (homemade recipe below)
- 3 cups of water
- 1.5 pounds of sweet potatoes
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 large bunch of kale
- Pinch Black pepper
- Pinch Cayenne pepper
- Peel and cut sweet potatoes into 1 inch cubes. Mince garlic. Wash and chop the kale into 1 inch pieces. Steams are options.
- Add broth, water, garlic, cayenne and sweet potatoes to a large saucepan. Over high heat bring to a boil. Once at a boil, reduce to low heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes (or until the sweet potatoes are tender).
- Using a potato masher or thick whisk, mash the sweet potatoes, this will thicken the broth. If you want a thinner soup, only wash ½ of the sweet potatoes. Leave broth on a low temperature.
- Add the kale to broth and completely cover the pieces by pushing the kale to the bottom of the pot. Simmer on low for 15-20 minutes or until all of the kale is dark green and soft in appearance.
- Season with pepper, or any additional spices.
*I love spicy soups, so I usually add additional chilli peppers!
- Serve hot with a protein of your choice.
Nutrition Info – 1 cup of soup::
Protein: 3 grams
Fat: 0 grams
Carbs: 30 grams (5grams dietary fibre)
Total Calories: 150
from December 2010:
This month’s recipes are once again brought you by Victoria Felkar! These are some yummy soups that will be great for a cold winter day, as winter is upon us in this part of the country!