Strawberry Kiwi Coffee Cakeby John Meadows on January 15, 2013
- 1 cup coconut palm sugar
- 1/4 cup unpasteurized butter
- 1/4 cup organic unsweetened applesauce
- 1 large free range egg
- 1 cup raw milk
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 tsp. xanthan gum
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 2 cups strawberries, hulled and diced into small pieces
- 2 large kiwis, peeled and diced into small pieces
1. In a large mixing bowl, cream together the sugar, butter and applesauce. Add the egg and vanilla, mix well.
2. Gradually add the milk to this mixture.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flours, xanthan gum, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. (If you feel as though your flours are not a fine enough grain, sift before adding).
4. Gradually add the dry flour mixture into the wet mixture. DO NOT over mix. If you are using a mixer of any type only have it on the medium-low speed, if you add in the flour too quickly you risk having air bubbles in your loaf.
5. With a spatula, fold in the strawberries and kiwi. Again, DO NOT over mix or else the strawberries will break down and turn the batter pink!
6. Spray a 9×13 glass baking dish lightly with olive oil pam. Pour mixture in.
7. Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes or until center is set (You can test this through using either a toothpick or uncooked piece of spaghetti noodle, insert it into the loaf and if it comes out clean the loaf is done).
8. Let it cool before serving.
Nutrition – Serves 10
from June 2012: