Homemade Vegetable Brothby John Meadows on January 15, 2013
Makes about 10 cups of broth, without sodium
The most basic stock recipe is:
- 1-2 Large Onions, chopped
- 3-4 Celery, Chopped
- 3 large Carrots, washed but unpeeled, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and cut in half or chopped
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 10 Whole Black Peppercorns
- 4 small sprigs of thyme
- ½ cup of parsley
- 1 Gallon Water
The nice thing about homemade broth is you can use as much veggies as you want, and your own preference of veggies. Bell peppers, fennel, spinach, tomatoes, mushrooms and other types can be used in any amount.
- Add all of the ingredients to a large stockpot.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer uncovered for
- More water might need to be added as it simmers, you always want the water to completely cover veggies
- Cool stock for around 30 minutes
- Strain the stock, pressing as much liquid as you can out of veggie pieces
- Any extra stock can be refrigerate for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 6 months (in mason jars).
from December 2010:
This month’s recipes are once again brought you by Victoria Felkar! These are some yummy soups that will be great for a cold winter day, as winter is upon us in this part of the country!