Apple Walnut Saladby John Meadows on January 15, 2013
- 1/4 cup of chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup of red onion chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon of non-caloric sweetener of your choice (stevia, splenda, etc.) – I suggest using liquid splenda
- 1/2 tablespoon Dijon-style prepared mustard
- 1/3 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 6 cups of organic mixed salad greens
- 1 apple, cored and thinly sliced
- Pinch of rock salt and fresh ground course black pepper
- ¼ to ½ tsp. of minced garlic
- Diced protein of choice – Grilled turkey breast compliments the recipe perfectly
1. Toast the walnuts. Simply lay the walnuts on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes.
2. In a food processor, blender or magic bullet combine the vinegar, onion, sweetner, mustard. Puree until smooth, and then gradually add the EVO. Season to preference with the salt, pepper and garlic.
3. In a large bowl, toss together the greens, sliced apples. Sprinkle enough of the dressing to lightly coat (you might have left overs). Toss in walnuts and protein.
Nutrition – Serves 4
Calories 252 (excluding protein)
from June 2012: